About Me

My Photo
Mommy and Wife of two children and one husband. We are a family who love meeting new people, going new places and trying new things as long as its fun!

Find me on Instagram

Instagram

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Gwen Hayes - Falling Under

About 
Theia Alderson lives a very sheltered life in a small town called Serendipity falls.
Her father a strict barrister with many rules and seriously lacking communication skills has very high
expectation's for his 17yr old daughter. She can be NOTHING like her irrational mom who died in child birth.
Theia is lonely and miserable but when a handsome boy appears in her school Theia's life begins to spin out of control, she knows him.. she's met him... not on the street or in town.. but in her dreams.
Who is Haden? The boy that strange things happen around. Why is she drawn to him? AND what's with his hot & cold behavior?!? Theia finds herself looking for answers to her many questions.

Falling under by Gwen Hayes - New American library
www.penguin.com
324 pages

My Opinion


I liked this book it wasn't the greatest of books I've read but it had enough to keep me interested and keep the story moving. I loved Theia and her friends Donny and Amelia each of them had different personalities and points of view, I enjoyed getting to know them. Haden of course I loved because I am a total sucker for the bad boy with the tortured soul trying to be good (in this case the demon boy!)
Theia was a great lead character reading of her strained relationship with her father was heart breaking and heart warming all at the same time.

The lonely demon boy meets the sheltered lonely human teenage girl. 

The only bad points for me were:

At the start of the book it didn't sit well with me Donny's view on boys and relationships it was all about getting laid and jumping bones.

Being English I seem to always find issues when somebody writes about a character who is British the use of the word "cheerio" ok no 17yr old would EVER use that word LOL. Theia seemed a little too formal.

The good points:

I loved the way the girls constructed a system of the students in school the haves to the have nots the "star bellies" it made me giggle!

The author is a great story teller and has a way with words that keeps you wanting to read.

Favorite quotes:

"Sneetches" was what we called the in-crowd at school, the haves as opposed to the have-nots. We named them from a Dr. Suess story in which the Star-Belly Sneetches, who were born with a green star on their bellies, thought they were better than all those who had no green star- or in this case green money. 

Do you think it’s easy for me? No, I don’t remember you. I don’t remember holding you or talking to you or falling in love with you—but I walk around with a giant hole in my heart all the time. I feel your absence every second of the day. It aches and nothing soothes it. Losing you is bad enough, but I don’t even get the comfort of remembering that I had you once. -Haden" 

"My very own goth Mr. Darcy. Jane Austen would be so proud." - Theia
The Last Word:


This book sort of had a "twilight ish" feel to it.. This book is definitely worth the read.


4 Stars out of 5.

3 comments:

Andra said...

Sounds good! You know, I always wondered if we Americans misused English slang in our books. A few times a supposedly English character will sound like such a cliche of the UK that I was kind of skeptical...interesting that I was right :D

melissa said...

I was just nit picking really, the character likes to say "cheerio" as a high and bye thing... and MAYBE your grandma would say it back in the days but not a 17yr old high schooler. I dont know though maybe thats what the author was going for. I for one have never ever said cheerio EVER LOL.

its a good book i liked it.

Truly Bookish said...

Great review! I felt pretty much the same as you. I was not a huge fan of Haden.
NC
Truly Bookish