About Me

My photo

I'm a mother of two and a wife of 1 lol. Originally from England,  Right now I am a stay at home mama although I've worked in numerous childcare positions in the past. My passion is books I can read for hours given the chance. In my free time I product test and write reviews for fun, I also write a blog. 
We are big soccer fans at my house, We love outdoor advantages such as hiking, biking and attending sporting events. My daughter is a mini me we share a love for all things country!

My husband and I recently joined the gym so fitness is a big part of our day..

Find me on Instagram

Instagram

Monday, August 29, 2011

Overbite - Meg Cabot





About:

Meena Harper  has a special gift she can tell people how they are going to die. Not that people generally like to be told when and how they are going to die, but Meena tells them in hopes of changing the out come.
So now Meena has taken a job with the Palatine Guard a secret organization which fights against demons and vampires. Her job well that's to predict if her team mates are going to die or not.
Only one problem with her new line of work - her ex boyfriend would be Lucien Antonescu, son of Dracula.

Meena wants to prove that demons maybe still have a good humane side. Convincing her team mates of this is a hard job... Especially when somebody is running around NY offing tourists.


My Opinion:

Sigh, I wanted to love this series so much but I just couldn't. When I read insatiable book 1 I thought it was OK a good start to a new series.
I liked the concept and thought Meena was an awesome character the series could definitely grow.

I was excited to read book 2 Overbite I wanted to love it! But I just didn't which upset me. I felt their wasn't any improvement Meena was still on/off with Lucien, who is meant to be a main character but is absent for so much of the book.
This is a HUGE issue for me! He's meant to be her Main love interest but is MISSING from huge chunks of the story.  WHY?

There is Alaric who I happened to like - I do like the tortured character and I liked he had a secret love interest in Meena, but why did he have to be so much of a jerk.

Then Jon don't even get me started on Jon, Meena's brother who is a fully grown adult but acts like a teenage boy. I feel so sorry for Meena with all these crazy people in her life!

I don't want to totally bash this book though which I feel I have - sorry :/

There were things I DID like -


  • Meena was a unique character her gift was hot I never come across another character like her before.
  • The concept was really good and I can totally see what Meg Cabot was trying to do but for me there wasn't enough depth.
  • Mary Lou was a favorite of mine her personality was much needed and brought humor
  • I did like Lucien - but like I said he needed to play a bigger part in the story. 

I am not bashing Meg Cabot's writing skills at all everybody knows she's awesome! After all The Boy Next Door is one of my favorite reads. I just think maybe the Vampire world isn't her strong point.

3 Out of 5







4 comments:

Obscured Vixen said...

It's so disappointing when there is a series that you really want to like, and just can't! That's happened to me before. Thanks for the honest review!

BookJunkie said...

It's disappointing when one of your favorite authors comes out with something and you just don't think it's very good. I've been there. Thanks for the great review!
Courtney
Fuzzy.Coffee.Books

Truly Bookish said...

I have only read one book by Meg Cabot (Abandon) and it was just an OK read but as the first book in a series, it has tons of promise. I really, really hope I am not going to be disappointed in that second book as you are in this one. I don't get it, she is a good writer....
NC
Truly Bookish

Kristina said...

I've heard mixed things about this series. I bought the first one on my nook a few months ago, but still haven't gotten around to reading it. Maybe when I finally finish the massive list of books that I want to read, I'll get to it lol.