About Me

My photo

I'm a mother of two and a wife of 1 lol. Originally from England,  Right now I am a stay at home mama although I've worked in numerous childcare positions in the past. My passion is books I can read for hours given the chance. In my free time I product test and write reviews for fun, I also write a blog. 
We are big soccer fans at my house, We love outdoor advantages such as hiking, biking and attending sporting events. My daughter is a mini me we share a love for all things country!

My husband and I recently joined the gym so fitness is a big part of our day..

Find me on Instagram

Instagram

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Should the big guy help the little guy?


Discussion starter:

Why wouldn't an established Blogger help a beginner?

Now before I get bashed lol I can hear it even before I begin! I am not meaning to offend anybody. I just have a genuine need to get this question answered.

OK so I'm a mom of two kids so I am generally busy but when my time is my own I love to read, and I read a lot. I also love sharing my opinion of those books I read on my blog.. I see my blog as a way of meeting cool new people who share the same interest as I do. Some of my favorite blogs I've happened to come across are

ReadingTeen.net
MundieMoms
Im A Book shark
The story siren
The nerds wife

To me these are consistent blogs that if I need to find cool new info then there the place to be.
Ran by genuinely nice people (just my opinion from the interaction I've had with each of them)

But while jumping on blog hops and finding dozens of new blogs I've come across something of an "attitude" between established blogs and new blogs. I don't know if that's the right word to call it... I'm just at a  loss for a better word.

I don't know how many questions I've seen posted asking for blog help or information...which either gets ignored or the "bigger blogs" are reluctant to give. Its fine if you don't want to help but when it comes to being rude and name calling that's not cool.

NOW I have also seen those blogs which are new, with hardly any book reviews under there belt and might blog today, but disappear for a month. Then they ask why wont authors or publishes send them Advanced copies or books.  
It's NOT going to happen! I've been blogging for two years, my blog I still think of as fairly new and small. I would not dream of contacting anybody until I felt confident of my blog!

But putting that aside I don't get why bigger blogs wouldn't want to help those who really want genuine help. The blogs who put work into there blogging. 

After all weren't they new once?

Blogging is meant to be fun its meant to be of like minded people sharing interests...if bloggers start getting an I'm better then you mentality it defeats the purpose..

Thats just my opinion.... what's yours?



6 comments:

Andra said...

No I totally get what you are saying. There is a group of blogs that I totally love and I stalk them religiously...I thought that we were getting along famously...but then when I started asking them bloggy questions instead of just complementing them on their blogs, they stopped talking to me...I was a little hurt...but whatever...I guess cliques exist everywhere...even in the book blogoverse

melissa said...

I thought I was the only one who noticed! lol. I am so glad somebody agrees with me :)

Mickey @ imabookshark said...

I'm flattered that you check my blog at all, let alone like it! And I still consider my blog new. It's only been up for 4-5 months. However, I've been asked questions and love helping anyone who needs it. I'm currently very busy so I don't get to check Twitter as much as I would like to. If you contact me directly with a way to contact you back, I have no problem helping! It's sad when people have attitude or when they ignore others completely. I find that sometimes the ones complaining about getting ignored are the worst offenders. I don't mean you because we've chatted a bit. Just an observation. We're all in the same boat, and we should help each other out! :o)

Mickey @ imabookshark

Kristen said...

I've always been happy to help. Not that I'm like "the big blog" necessarily and I kinda just left my old blog for a new combo blog, but if anyone ever emailed me asking blog advice I answered. I love getting those emails, but they don't come often. So, I think mostly people would answer. I can't admit I respond to 100% of my emails, but I try to. :)

melissa said...

Thanks guys for your opinion.. No I wasn't talking about me either. This week i have been hopping from blog to blog and i came across things written that just didn't sit right with me. Interactions between other people.

Thats why I did name my favorite blogs in this post because I figure if people knew where some great blogs were it would be easier for them :)

Truly Bookish said...

Thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway. I am now following you on Twitter and GFC. Very interesting discussion and unfortunately I have seen some of the same issues on blogs and Twitter too. I have only been blogging for approx 8 months and the best bloggy help I have personally recieved (through emails or Tweets) has been from smaller or newer blogs like myself. I love reading and blogging. It's my hobby and I am determined to have fun with it. Adults participating in cliqish behavior over book blogs is just sad and crazy. That being said, there are great big blogs out there that I want my blog to be like when it grows up :-)
NC
Truly Bookish