About Me

My photo

I'm a mother of two and a wife of 1 lol. Originally from England,  Right now I am a stay at home mama although I've worked in numerous childcare positions in the past. My passion is books I can read for hours given the chance. In my free time I product test and write reviews for fun, I also write a blog. 
We are big soccer fans at my house, We love outdoor advantages such as hiking, biking and attending sporting events. My daughter is a mini me we share a love for all things country!

My husband and I recently joined the gym so fitness is a big part of our day..

Find me on Instagram

Instagram

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Stork - Wendy Delsol


  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 357 pages
  • Publisher: Candlewick (October 12, 2010)


About:

Katla is a city fashionista she loves designer labels and has a weakness for Starbucks, but when her parents divorce she has to move from LA to her mom's small home town in Minnesota. It's not enough she's dealing with the school leech Wade, her parents divorce and her mom's new boyfriend Stanley! She finds out shes a living breathing Stork (Yes those fluffy birds who bring babies). 
She becomes a member of the Icelandic Stork Society (more like the golden girls) and discovers there are truths in folklore and fairy tales. 
There is an upside, Jack she's so drawn to him that the attraction startles even her! but she needs to get to know him. Even if strange events seem to happen when he's close by.


My Opinion:

I love Katla she's so unbelievably funny, charismatic and full of personality. She makes the book engaging from page 1. Her humor gives this story a lot of quirkiness that just kept me reading.. she reminds me a lot of Sophie from Hex Hall. 
Even though she has her weakness for designer labels and shes used to the LA life style she really has a good heart which we see with the friends she surrounds herself with - Penny, Tina, Pedro and Matthew.

Jack was a great male Character I liked that he had family morals and a small town country up bringing but he wasn't Hickish. He is very intense when it came to his feelings for Katla (but he has known he was in love with her since she was 11!) 

Wade I didn't like at all. We know he's a jerk right from the very start but he takes it to a whole new level further in the book... I couldn't help but feel it was a little bit of a stretch?
Grim Hulda (stork Head lady) was by far my favorite character - bizarre and batty but full of wise wisdom, tales and folklore.

Wendy Delsol has written a great start to what I hope is a series! packed full of folk lore tales it's a strong story. The characters are well developed with room for growth, It was a light hearted and quick witted read with a little romance (who doesn't love that). The ending could of been a little better but with the hint of more books I guess we will get our answers in book 2 when the story continues. 

Over all a really enjoyable unique story which I would recommend to anybody who wants to read a little something different.





5 comments:

Joy said...

I've had this sitting on my shelves for a while now. I might pick it up after reading your review! :)

Sherre said...

every time I saw this book, I left it on the shelves. I wasn't sure if I should read it.

Andra said...

I've seen this around and I so want to check it out. Definitely an original concept of turning into a stork..lol Thanks for the great review!

Obscured Vixen said...

Great review! It sounds like a great book. Maybe I'll add it to my TBR list.

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

So glad you enjoyed this one!! I really loved 'Stork' and 'Frost' and it's too bad that more people haven't heard of these books, or at least haven't picked them up. I loved Katla and Jack, and the whole Norse mythology was interesting and unique.