About Me

My photo

I'm a mother of two and a wife of 1 lol. Originally from England,  Right now I am a stay at home mama although I've worked in numerous childcare positions in the past. My passion is books I can read for hours given the chance. In my free time I product test and write reviews for fun, I also write a blog. 
We are big soccer fans at my house, We love outdoor advantages such as hiking, biking and attending sporting events. My daughter is a mini me we share a love for all things country!

My husband and I recently joined the gym so fitness is a big part of our day..

Find me on Instagram

Instagram

Saturday, September 24, 2011

All these things I've done - Gabrielle Zevin


All these things I've done

Author: Gabrielle Zevin
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Audio: Macmillan Website
Read by: Ilyana Kadushin



The year is 2083 and the family business is dealing in chocolate which is illegal.
Anya is the daughter of a mob boss who died when she was a much younger child, leaving her responsible for her brother who has mental health issues, younger sister and dying grandmother.
Anya tells us the turbulent, emotional and difficult story which happens to be her life.

Let me start by saying I found it utterly ludicrous that chocolate could be illegal. I mean come on really! Although chocolate dealing was the family business its not the whole story. The Balanchine's could of dealt in anything the story was much more then chocolate.. This was about Anya and her struggle of being plagued  by a family name and living up to a birth rite she didn't want or ask for.

I found the Author to be very smart with the chocolate move though because even if you have never read this book, you've heard "about" the book which outlaws chocolate. I know that's what intrigued me enough to want to read it.

I loved Anya she was a strong, loyal, responsible young woman who tried to always put her families
needs before her own. I found her very selfless and although she was extremely tough when it came
to the well being of those she loved, she also had a vulnerable  side which made my heart break.
She was always looking out for others I just wanted something good to happen for her.

Enter Win - Charming and utterly lovely I fell in love with Win and I rooted for there relationship.
I hated the interference of Win's D.A father which made them very much the star crossed lovers.

The author (Gabrielle Zevin) wrote a strong compelling story which once I started I couldn't get enough. The mafia lifestyle with dystopian like feel was very intriguing (the rationing of water, candles, paper and books!) can you imagine!
The writing and foundation of the story was strong and fluid, I found it all so beautifully tragic.
The Characters whether good or bad were a true dynamic all on there own and well thought out. Each had a purpose in the story and none where forgotten about. Gabrielle Zevin is certainly a very talented writer and story teller.

The Audio reader (Ilyana kadushin) was amazing! I loved listening to the story, she really did do an amazing job with bringing the characters to life. Whether with an accent change or voice texture I can not praise her enough.
I had read the book and I did love it but when I listened to the audio it took it to a whole new level.
Having listened to 'All these things I've done' it has created a new and ever lasting love for the audio books..

I hated Gable, he repulsed me
I felt Nana was full of crazy wisdom
while cousin mickey was a sleaze.
My heart had sympathy for Leo
For one reader to bring all these people to life in such a vivid way I found amazing.

5 stars



4 comments:

BookJunkie said...

OMG! Ilyana Kadushin is one of my all time favorite readers!! I loved her reading Bella Swan! I finished reading this book a few days ago and enjoyed it okay, but now I must check out the audiobook!
Courtney @ Fuzzy.Coffee.Books

melissa said...

I think you will enjoy it alot as an audio she was fantastic! I always tend to like these types of books better on audio.

Bookish Brunette said...

I just got this book a few days ago!! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about it!

Kristina said...

I want to read this so bad but I can't afford it b/c I'm moving soon. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. You made me even more excited to read it.