About Me

My photo

I'm a mother of two and a wife of 1 lol. Originally from England,  Right now I am a stay at home mama although I've worked in numerous childcare positions in the past. My passion is books I can read for hours given the chance. In my free time I product test and write reviews for fun, I also write a blog. 
We are big soccer fans at my house, We love outdoor advantages such as hiking, biking and attending sporting events. My daughter is a mini me we share a love for all things country!

My husband and I recently joined the gym so fitness is a big part of our day..

Find me on Instagram

Instagram

Monday, September 26, 2011

My thoughts on Banned books



The more I read about Banned books the more I get upset.
  • Harry potter
  • Hunger Games
  • Twilight
Alice in wonderland for goodness sake?!? are we for real, no really.... I find it utterly ridiculous.
Some of the books that make up this list are classic reading material! I read Alice in Wonderland as a child and I turned out perfectly fine.

Then there is Twilight, whether you are a fan of these books or not how many thousand even millions of children are now reading because of these books.
I cant help but think we as a society are more critical of books and I have no idea why?!

Just today I was watching an episode of Sponge bob square pants with my son on Nick, and this is "aimed" at my sons age group.
Sponge bob and Patrick are getting drunk on ice cream... but then that is acceptable to be aired on TV?
My 11yr old niece is talking about 16 and Pregnant on MTV as are her school friends, and this is OK as long as there not reading harry potter! I find the whole notion ludicrous.
I am not saying books should not be monitored of course it should be along with everything else but we should hold TV, movies, music all to the same standard.
Books are an educational tool for both adults and children lets use it instead of closing our mind off to such an advantage in life.

I for one will never limit my child's love for reading.



3 comments:

BookJunkie said...

Amen sister! I find it ridiculous that these books (or any) are banned.
Courtney @ Fuzzy.Coffee.Books

Kristina said...

Isn't banning books just disgusting? Makes me sick

Andra said...

I hate the thought of banning books, but I like to think of it this way. Kids like disobeying authority right? Well, by banning books, hopefully it gets the rebellious kids to read something they might not of just because someone said they couldn't...The only thing I would stop my kid from reading would probably be like...erotica...simply because I would be totally uncomfortable seeing them read it...lol