About Me

My photo

I'm a mother of two and a wife of 1 lol. Originally from England,  Right now I am a stay at home mama although I've worked in numerous childcare positions in the past. My passion is books I can read for hours given the chance. In my free time I product test and write reviews for fun, I also write a blog. 
We are big soccer fans at my house, We love outdoor advantages such as hiking, biking and attending sporting events. My daughter is a mini me we share a love for all things country!

My husband and I recently joined the gym so fitness is a big part of our day..

Find me on Instagram

Instagram

Friday, September 9, 2011

The Near Witch - Victoria Schwab


  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 288 pages
  • Publisher: Hyperion Book
  • Buy the book!


About:


The town of Near tries hard to forget its past... The story of the Near Witch is now one to be told to children as a bedtime tale.
But in reality the town still hold fear in there hearts. There are witches who live on the outside of town nobody talks to the sisters, apart from Lexi a teenage girl who lives by the wisdom her father taught her before his passing.
The hunters - They protect the town and keep everything in order. But when a stranger comes to town and children start to disappear the town wants somebody to blame.
 Lexi knows Cole is not to blame, She knows there is truth in the stories her father told her as a child. 
She sets herself on a path with the help of Cole and the Witch sisters to prove the Near Witch is in fact the culprit of the kidnappings. 


My Opinion:


This book surprised me it wasn't what I thought it would be at all. I wouldn't normally read this type of book and it took me a while to get into it. But that's all on me because every page of this book was high quality writing, Victoria Schwab has a beautiful way about her writing its detailed, lyrical, vivid and really paints a picture. 
I could feel the wind when Cole lost control, I could feel Lexi's frustrations at not being heard.
It's a hard book to really describe - The story is one of  witch craft, children's stories,  legends and history..not forgetting a little romance!


I found it to be a haunting fairy tale but in a very pretty way. 


I loved Lexi she was strong willed, stubborn and stood by her beliefs even though it went against everybody in her life.
Cole was a mystery I loved discovering who he was. I  felt ever so sorry for him, he just needed somebody to believe in him and Lexi was the perfect girl to do this. I thought it was a fabulous idea for Lexi and Cole to have a Romance it lightened the tone a little.. Everything can't be doom and gloom!


I liked Otto I don't know why but I did! He did a lot of things wrong within the story but I think it was because he was thrown into a father role he was not ready for and had no experience with. 


This book reminded me of The Crucible, people followed the crowd and believed what they where told to believe - led by fear. I found it very scary to see how destructive fear could actually be.


This story is filled to the brim with little lyrical quotes and stories that I found extremely impressive. I think my favorite was:


Sticks and stones for building birds
gathered from the village floor, nailed to every village door, 
watchful eyes turned out at night, keeps the evil out of sight.


The concept of this book was strong and well thought out it was a very unique read. 





5 comments:

Ashley @ What's Your Story? said...

I've had The Near Witch on my shelf for a month or so now, and I've been dying to read it. Glad you enjoyed it, I'll definitely have to push it up farther on my tbr.

Is the part that's highlighted in green a rhyme in the book or something? Because it's totally creepy, haha.

melissa said...

yes its in the book and there is little quotes like that through out its a dark book but written in a pretty way if thats even possible, I have never chosen a book like this to read before its just so different, at first i had a hard time getting into it. But the writing is amazing quality and you cant help but like the beauty of everything that makes up the story with the quotes, stories, lyrical poems... its really done well

Jennifer said...

I've got this one waiting at the library. I'll have to run right over and get it!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I'm SO glad to see you loved this one! It was such an incredible read, and the author is a new favourite of mine. Great review :)

Kristina said...

I really liked this book too. It was very unique and I liked that it was a stand alone.

great review!