About Me

My photo

I'm a mother of two and a wife of 1 lol. Originally from England,  Right now I am a stay at home mama although I've worked in numerous childcare positions in the past. My passion is books I can read for hours given the chance. In my free time I product test and write reviews for fun, I also write a blog. 
We are big soccer fans at my house, We love outdoor advantages such as hiking, biking and attending sporting events. My daughter is a mini me we share a love for all things country!

My husband and I recently joined the gym so fitness is a big part of our day..

Find me on Instagram

Instagram

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ying Chang - Crouching Tiger - Children's book


Buy the book!

  • Reading level: Ages 6 and up
  • Hardcover: 40 pages
  • Publisher: Candlewick (December 13, 2011)

  • This is a wonderful book about a young boy who gets a visit from his Chinese grandfather.
    Vinson is impressed with his grandpa's knowledge of Martial arts and wants to learn more.
    Like any young boy he doesn't want to learn technique or put in much work. He wants to know how
    to do Kung Fu like they show you in the movies!
    Vinson becomes frustrated and embarrassed by his grandpa's constant use of his Chinese name.
    Although he is part Chinese he is worried his friends will make fun of him. Until Vinson goes to
    the New Years Chinese parade and is offered a role. He sees how his grandfather is loved and shown respect by many that his outlook begins to change.

    Mommy's Opinion:

    There wasn't anything I didn't like about this book and I found there was many lessons within the story.
    My son is part Latino and part British born in the USA.. In the story Vinson is part Chinese part American but he doesn't want to embrace both heritages. This story shows him the reasons of why both cultures are important. The author wrote beautifully in an easy manner for a child to understand..

    I also loved learning about Tai Chi - Yes this book also taught mom something! My son is 5yrs old when he seen he received a "fighting book" he was so excited hes very much into the Ninja thing right now.
    This book was wonderful at expressing that it isn't just fighting but a skill, an art that works on inner balance and strength as well as the outer.

    There was also lots of details about Chinese New year and how that holiday is celebrated within the Chinese culture. This book was definitely an informative and a great way to learn about another culture in an easy way.

    The illustrations where unique and different I particularly like the parade art. I also thought the Authors note at the back of the book was awesome.


    Note from Jacob:

    My most favorite part of the book was when Grandpa helped save the woman walking on the side walk from being hit with the wood, the workman had. The Workman nearly hit her in the head!
    He did an awesome Ninja kick which was cool!
    I also like the Dragon at the parade it makes me want to see the Chinese parade one day.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    thank you for your thoughts Jacob!