About Me

My Photo
Mommy and Wife of two children and one husband. We are a family who love meeting new people, going new places and trying new things as long as its fun!

Find me on Instagram

Instagram

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Only the strongest survive - Ian Fox

Follow the Author on twitter- @IanFox2
Follow on Blogger - Ianfoxwriter.blogspot.com

About - Description from Goodreads


The novel opens with a hair-tingling scene, as two men kidnap Emely Donnovan, one of the wealthiest women in America.She finds herself locked in the basement of a remote house in the middle of a forest, watched over by one of her captors who makes her buy and sell stocks for him so he can get rich. Her challenge to survive becomes even more complicated when Emely’s captor falls in love with her.

My Opinion:

So let me start by saying this is not usually the type of book I read and after reading mixed reviews I didn't know how to approach a story like this.
In the beginning we meet Emely who seems to be a hard nosed CEO of a company who doesn't have much time for others and so when she is kidnapped by the brothers although gruesome and horrible things happen its hard to feel bad for her.

Ronald and John set out with the same motive in the beginning but later differ when John starts having nightmares about Emely, without his brother knowing he goes to get Emely who Ronald believes is dead and holds her captive while using her skills in the stock market to make money.

This is were the story gets interesting... I read a number of reviews that said this book was not realistic, but in actual fact Stockholm syndrome is very common with kidnap victims. The Sociologist in me adored getting to know John and Emely who where both a victim of there social settings as children and living with the repercussions of that.

Emely was raised in a Catholic children's home alone and poor all her life since the death of her parents. She worked very hard in order to make it and was terrified she would lose it all, while not a greedy person by nature this is what she became through fear. It took Emely getting kidnapped to realize he own issues and reevaluate her life.

John having a mother who was too busy cheating on his father, and a father who was always living for his work he was left with Ronald as a role model. Ronald was the protector but left John feeling dumb and not good enough with his constant put downs.

Emely and John were similar in many ways and I was sad with the way it ended for them, I did hope for more.

My Final thought:

This book is for those who love to read dark and gritty stories, Ronald I think is one of the most disturbing characters I've ever read about. While parts of the story did not appeal to me (the rape scene) I did appreciate the in-depth writing style of the characters and did enjoy getting to know Emely and John - who maybe in another world would of made it! (the romantic in me lol)

1 comment:

Jacob's nanna said...

I just got a copy of this for my kindle thanks for the review